Free Fiddle & Guitar Workshops
Free Group Fiddle & Rhythm Classes
Starting September 11th in Great Falls, MT
Classes are held at Bass Clef School of Music 525 Central Ave. Great Falls, MT
District 8 is proud to offer our weekly group classes again this fall. These classes are for all levels of player and we have opportunities for all folk instruments (fiddle, guitar, mandolin, banjo, and bass).
Tone, Timing, and Technique
Come and learn how to develop your playing on any instrument. We will cover the various aspects of how to achieve great tone, how to find "the groove" and blend with other instruments rhythmically. We will also cover some intermediate to advanced techniques for developing your playing and practicing routines. Free to MSOTFA members and offered weekly starting September 11th.
If you want to start playing the fiddle or if you have been playing for a little while but aren't sure how to proceed this class is for you. With a fun, friendly, and supportive learning environment Louise will give you the tools you need for a solid foundation in fiddling. No experience required and loaner and rental instruments are available if you just want to give it a try.
This class will cover basic chord shapes, strumming patterns, and basic music theory. The class is open to any instrument and any level of player. Our goal is to give you a solid foundation for playing behind fiddlers, singers, and other lead instruments. Learn how to play solid backup without hurting your hands and fingers!
Other Classes Offered
Intro to Western Swing
In this class we will cover the history of Western Swing from the 1920s onward. We will be learning some classic tunes, twin fiddle parts, fills and backup techniques, and how to get that classic Bob Wills sound. The class is open to all instruments and levels but a basic knowledge of your instrument is encouraged. Class cost is $10 per session.
Private lessons are offered by a variety of instructors. If you would like to learn more please email us and we can direct you to an instructor in your area offering instruction in the style you are interested in.
Other playing opportunities
District 8 weekly care home performances.
District 8 Weekly Open Jam @ The Celtic Cowboy
116 1st Ave. South, Great Falls, MT
Book the Fiddlers
Reserve the Sound System
To reserve the MSOTFA District 8 Sound System please send us an email HERE. The system may be used by any member who has been trained in its use and is using it for a fiddle related event. The system is reserved on a first come, first served basis. All damages incurred are the responsibility of the member who reserved the system. Please refer to the below calendar for availability.
District 8 Scholarships
District 8 is now accepting applications for 2020 scholarships. These funds can be used for attending music camps, taking private lessons, or attending other fiddle education related events. Award amounts may vary by application. All applications will be reviewed by the district board. Please allow at minimum 30 days for review before the funds are needed. Below are the guidelines applying.
1. Must be an active member of the District 8 Montana State Old-time Fiddlers Association (active being defined as have participated in a minimum of three district events in the past twelve months).
2. Funds must be used for attending an educational fiddling event. i.e. camps, festival workshops, private or group lessons.
3. Financial need is not a requirement but if you feel it is a factor please mention it in your application.
4. Age, gender, and ethnicity are not a factor in the application and the scholarships are available to any member category on any instrument used at district functions.
5. The applicant must submit an email HERE at least 30 days prior to needing the funds. The email should include their Name, age, experience with fiddling and/or music, name of the camp, festival or teacher, cost of attendance, amount of scholarship requested, reason they would like to attend, and overall community benefit of their attendance.
All applicants will be notified of the boards decision within thirty days. The application process will be ongoing and available as long as there are funds. If you would like to donate to the scholarship fund please click below. Thank you!