Free Fiddle & Guitar Workshops
Free Music Workshops in Choteau
Saturday January 11th, 2020
Workshops will be held at Choteau Arts 204 Main Avenue N. Choteau, MT
1:00PM Beginning Fiddle with Louise Steinway- If you are new to fiddling come learn some basics and a fun tune!
1:00PM Sound System Setup with Isaac Callender- Come and learn the fundamentals of setting up live sound.
2:00 Intermediate Fiddle- Join Louise to learn some more advanced technique and more tunes.
2:00 Rhythm Class- Isaac will cover the basics and then some. Open to any folk rhythm instrument.
3:00 Twin Fiddling- Join Isaac and Louise for some Twin Fiddling fun. We'll learn a tune and discuss how to find harmony parts. Open to all melody instruments.
Private lessons are offered by a variety of instructors. If you would like to learn more please email us and we can direct you to an instructor in your area offering instruction in the style you are interested in.
Other playing opportunities
District 8 weekly care home performances.
District 8 Weekly Open Jam @ The Celtic Cowboy
116 1st Ave. South, Great Falls, MT
Book the Fiddlers
Reserve the Sound System
To reserve the MSOTFA District 8 Sound System please send us an email HERE. The system may be used by any member who has been trained in its use and is using it for a fiddle related event. The system is reserved on a first come, first served basis. All damages incurred are the responsibility of the member who reserved the system. Please refer to the below calendar for availability.
District 8 Scholarships
District 8 is now accepting applications for 2020 scholarships. These funds can be used for attending music camps, taking private lessons, or attending other fiddle education related events. Award amounts may vary by application. All applications will be reviewed by the district board. Please allow at minimum 30 days for review before the funds are needed. Below are the guidelines applying.
1. Must be an active member of the District 8 Montana State Old-time Fiddlers Association (active being defined as have participated in a minimum of three district events in the past twelve months).
2. Funds must be used for attending an educational fiddling event. i.e. camps, festival workshops, private or group lessons.
3. Financial need is not a requirement but if you feel it is a factor please mention it in your application.
4. Age, gender, and ethnicity are not a factor in the application and the scholarships are available to any member category on any instrument used at district functions.
5. The applicant must submit an email HERE at least 30 days prior to needing the funds. The email should include their Name, age, experience with fiddling and/or music, name of the camp, festival or teacher, cost of attendance, amount of scholarship requested, reason they would like to attend, and overall community benefit of their attendance.
All applicants will be notified of the boards decision within thirty days. The application process will be ongoing and available as long as there are funds. If you would like to donate to the scholarship fund please click below. Thank you!